Regarding the recent serial murder, JJJ Association and Zi Teng appeal to all concerned groups to join our petition and action tomorrow
In regards to the recent serial killings of sex workers, JJJ Association and Zi Teng feel very sorry to the deceased and their family. We urge the police to arrest the murderer as soon as possible. We also hope that the concerned parties and the public pay more concern on sex workers. We particularly hope that the Government can repeal the unfair laws related to sex workers, reduce their vulnerability to violence and dangers.
JJJ Associaton and Zi Teng will do a joint action tomorrow (March 18) morning. We will march from the Southorn Playground (Wanchai) to the Police Headquarters, urge the police to enforce more effective measures to protect sex workers. We particularly hope that the police can improve their enforcement and attitudes towards sex workers, provide substantial, serious help for sex workers when they call for the police. It is already too late for the police to take any precaution after suffering great human losses.
Besides, we sincerely appeal to all concerned groups and parties to sign on the JJJ Association statement and join our action tomorrow.
Details of tomorrow's action:
Date: March 18, 2008
Venue: Sourthorn Playground, Wanchai
Content: March to the Police Headquarters
JJJ Association and Zi Teng
JJJ Association statement
JJJ Association is the group formed by sex workers, who would like to provide further support for the counterparts.
Three of us were robbed and killed. Many of us are extremely worried. As a sex workers group, we have the following response:
- Just like everyone of you, we work in the sex industry for our family and children. We are not stealing or robbing anything, but we are always discriminated. Whenever we are in trouble, we not only have no support from the neighbour or the community, we also receive no help from the police. Different from most of you, the police seldom seriously take the initiative to offer us help. Some police officers even verbally assault us at the police station. Eventually, we dare not call the police for help, indirectly ‘encourage’ the robbers or murderers to continue harming us.
- Though we are still marginalized in the society, and many people do not accept us, we well understand that we at least have to unite ourselves and strengthen our mutual communication if we want to continue our work.
- We appeal to every sisters working at one-woman brothel or other sectors. If you were robbed or hurt in the past 6 months, or you have any relevant information, please contact Zi Teng and the police immediately.
- We think that the serial killer not only challenges the police, also publicly discriminates against us. We would like to tell you that “You can never escape from the responsibility. You will pay for this”. You will soon be brought to jail.
- We are ready to cooperate with the police, but we strongly urge the police to improve the current 999 system. We hope that we can call for the police in a comfortable and secure way, without any discrimination or insult. We also hope that the police can well protect our identity when we call for help. In this case, we can cooperate with the police without any worry, provide useful information for the police to arrest the serial killer.
- According to the current law, sex workers can only work alone in the flat. This undoubtedly exposes us to dangers and risks, that robbers and killers can always target us. We strongly urge the Government to reform current law, so that we can work with another sex worker or a third party, better care each other.
For further enquiries or information, please contact Zi Teng.
Zi Teng is a sex workers concern organization.
In regards to the recent serial killings of sex workers, Zi Teng feel very sorry to the deceased and their family. We urge the police to arrest the murderer as soon as possible. We also hope that the concerned parties and the public pay more concern on sex workers. We particularly hope that the Government can repeal the unfair laws related to sex workers, reduce their vulnerability to violence and dangers.
Presently, sex workers working at one-woman brothel can only work alone in the flat according to the law. Anyone developing business relationship with sex workers, even they are only washing towels for sex workers, may easily be charged with ‘living off the earnings of prostitutes’. Sex workers cannot even hire someone to protect them. If they co-work at the same flat, they will be charged with ‘permitting premises or vessel to be kept as a vice establishment’. They cannot take care and support each other effectively. Sex workers eventually have to face the dangers and risks alone, that robbers and killers can freely take advantage of them.
In addition, since sex workers are excluded and discriminated by the society, they are further pushed to helplessness. Even they are in trouble or danger, they not only cannot receive the concern from the neighbours, the police also ignore them. Some police officers even verbally assault sex workers who seek for the police help. Sex workers are scared and no longer seek help from the police.
We strongly urge:
- The police to improve their enforcement, carry out effective measures to protect sex workers but not eradicating sex workers from the community. The police should also better the present 999 system, allow sex workers to provide information in a secure and comfortable way without any discrimination or humiliation.
- Sex workers working at one-woman brothel to join our ‘Sisters Network’, where we can further foster our linkage and protect ourselves. If you were robbed or so on, or you would like to provide relevant information, please contact the police and us as soon as possible. We can then stop the robbers and murders immediately.
- The society to eliminate the discrimination against sex workers. When sex workers are in troubles or dangers, the community can offer help to sex workers, who mainly work in the industry for the sake of family and children.
- The family of the victims to contact us. We are always ready to provide help for you.
- The Government to reform current sex work law, so that sex workers can work or share the same flat with a third party.
For further enquiries, please contact Miss Lam at 2332-7182.
March 17, 2008